Friday, February 19, 2010

The Basics of Playing Guitar

If you're a person who dreams to play a guitar on a big stage, then you must learn the basics first. Playing the guitar can be very difficult or extremely easy depending on your dedication (this goes for every other instrument out there). It is very obvious that the more you practice, the better you'll become. Things will gradually fall into place and everything will seem to get easier. When I first started playing the guitar, I did not believe this saying. Everybody used to tell me that "practice makes perfect". This, apparently, is very true. I will provide you the steps I took when I was first starting out. Hopefully, this will help you in your journey to becoming a rock legend.

First thing on the list is to have a decent guitar. I'm will have to emphasize on the word "decent" because buying a cheap underrated guitar will not be sufficient. With anything, if you really want to be good at something, you need to dedicate yourself to it. Back then, I bought a 40 dollar acoustic guitar to start off with and was very discouraged in how I played. The reason for that was because the sound quality was really bad and the strings were horrible. So I invested my money in a Washburn bass guitar. It wasn't the greatest, but it was fairly decent. I know what you're thinking, why did you buy a bass guitar? My plan was to learn the scales and be able to play single notes. Normally with an acoustic guitar, your first instinct is to strum a chord. I believe that while strumming a chord can sound very nice, the real guitaring skills come from solos and riffs.

Once I got used to playing bass, I slowly steered myself to buying a Gibson SG electric guitar. For those of you that do not know, Gibson is a very well known company for manufacturing guitars. This was a big investment, financially, in my part; although, I was dedicated to playing guitar. I practiced every day for 2 hours and made sure I started with my scales. I then went online and looked for tabs of my favourite songs. Since I already knew the notes on the guitar, due to playing the scales, it was easy following the tabs. At times, I didn't even need to follow the tabs because I know what notes are needed to be played just from hearing it.

For those that do not know, tablature, tabs for short, is a type of "music sheet" showing the strings of the guitar and which frets need to be pressed (or plucked). Essentially, you don't need to know the scale if you're reading tabs, but it will certainly help in the long run. The main concepts to this are practice hard and buy a decent guitar. One day, you'll find yourself one day playing your favourite song without looking at any tabs or music sheets.

Guitar-StoryMusic dj-shisu

No comments:

Post a Comment