Wednesday, December 7, 2011

No Milk Today - Herman's Hermits (1967)

In an interview with the "Forgotten Hits" newsletter, Hermit's lead singer Peter Noone said: "Personally I think 'No Milk Today' is Herman's Hermits' best recording, and perfectly captures the moment and the feel of Manchester terraced houses and what was the end of a British era. I recall it was made at Lansdown Studios and that we recorded a few other songs that day, probably 'There's A Kind Of Hush,' 'Dandy' and 'No Milk Today.' This was in the period where we (Mick and I) had just stopped using The Hermits on the recordings and were using the best musicians available to us to try to keep up with what had suddenly become The British Invasion. We were supposed to deliver 48 tracks a year to MGM so we were always scrambling to catch up. I recall that John Paul Jones played bass guitars (an upright and a fender bass) on the tracks and was also responsible for the arrangements which I dare say are brilliant on all 3 tracks but I know he liked 'No Milk Today' and I would suggest that his arrangement turned this perfect Graham Gouldman song into a hit. I think that after we had the tracks down then I did the lead vocal and then Karl Green, Keith Hopwood and I did the backgrounds, the songs were mixed and that was it." The song was released in 1967 on the B-side of Herman's Hermits cover of The Kinks' "Dandy". Written by future 10cc member Graham Gouldman, "No Milk Today" was Herman's Hermit's first single to employ an orchestra. The song made it to #35 on the charts in the ...

Gibson Flying V Bestsellers in MP3 Downloads best seller books

No comments:

Post a Comment